Feeling down, lost or disconnected with yourself? As we all go through a shift in the world and in our own lives, it’s easy to feel stuck. Fear of the unknown can drive you into overthinking and keep you in a repetitive cycle of indecisiveness. Although it is important to feel your emotions, as they are normally a trigger for other things. It is also important to know when to step in and take action towards a change.
With so many pressures placed on us from society making time to disconnect from the world has become a vital way of trying to cope. We are still human after all and the robotic isolating routine and direction that our lives have gone in, is so well, un-human.
Emotional stress can take its toll on our bodies, not only mentally but physically. As we are all responsible for ourselves and in some cases our families. So, making a regular routine to exercise, eat well and balance out your priorities is necessary. In an article by Time, it suggests that the more emotions or conflicts a person experiences the more anxious they feel. Emotional signals are triggered in the brain which are linked to the heart, lungs and intestines. The role that emotions play in one’s physical health shouldn’t be taken lightly.
False Beliefs & The Power of Thought
When we address our emotions and get to the root of the feeling, we are able to release it, no longer being afraid. By doing so it makes us more emotionally intelligent and brings awareness around it for when that same emotion may present its self once again. The more we practice addressing feelings and thoughts, the better we can become at understanding ourselves.
We all have our own beliefs about ourselves and life, whether they be passed on to us or developed along our life journey. Most of us don’t ever pause to look at our own beliefs and analyse them. We just go about our daily lives listening to our self-talk and thoughts like they are our rules to life.
Our thoughts program our actions and emotions, whether they stem from our conscious or subconscious mind. For example, if you have a false belief about earning a living needs to be a struggle, then it will be that way.
Symptoms You May be Experiencing if Your Feeling Lost or Disconnected
- Lost in direction
- Lack of purpose in life
- Worries about the future
- Loss of freedom
- Feeling trapped
- Unable to see the joys in life
- Feeling like a victim
- Changes in your sleeping or eating patterns
- Lack of motivation
- Developing bad habits
How to Feel Relief Right Now
Shift your energy to gratitude, everyday list three things soon as you wake up that you are grateful for. Write down a list of things, no matter how challenging it may seem. Once you start it will be like a domino effect. There are always things you can appreciate.
Keep the list somewhere you can see it. When you feel down you can focus on these things.
This will help boost your positivity and change your way of thinking.
Focus on what you have in your life, your loved ones, friends, and comforts.
Make time to sit with your feelings and process them. Sometimes things can occur that are out of our control, if you are focusing on something you cannot control then remind yourself keeping your energy in fear will only encourage more.
Take time out, from the media, TV, Radio and negative people. This will only keep you focused on fear-based emotions.
Spend time reconnecting with yourself by creating a peaceful environment at home or connecting with the natural world.
Techniques to Try when Building New Habits to Reconnect with Yourself
Happiness is a habit, so that means instead of training yourself to stay stuck in the rut you are in, use that energy to pick yourself up. Try one or more of these and add them into your daily routine.
- Meditation if your new to this start with a few minutes a day, you can read our beginners meditation
- Go for a walk, fresh air and time outside is a good way to stay grounded
- Try read something uplifting to shift your mood here are some book suggestions for you
- Write how you are feeling be honest with yourself and then read it back to yourself out loud. Then read it as if your friend was saying to you. Write down the advice you would give your friend. Then read it back to yourself
- Call a friend to chat, so often we disconnect ourselves. Make an effort to be social
- Organise to meet up with someone who makes you feel good
- Try a yoga session at home, I have used an app called down dog. Its free and you can choose the level and time you want to practise, however there are many out there
- Practice learning a new skill through Skill share. They have a 2month free trial
- Plant something. Sometimes just getting outdoors or growing something of your own can make you feel good. I learnt how to grow an avocado from a seed. To see it flourish now into a healthy plant makes me feel good every time I look at it. Otherwise, plant a lovely herb garden for you to use when you are cooking.
- Cook something. Play some music in the background to bring up your mood and put all your love and energy into preparing a wonderful meal for yourself, no matter how simple.
- Treat yourself to a bunch of flowers, go to a florist store and spend time looking at the types of plants or flowers. Buy a bunch and have them displayed somewhere you can enjoy them; flowers are so beautiful just being in their presence in an energy changer.
- Spend some time in nature. Go to a beautiful park or for a walk on the beach. Let yourself enjoy the sights, sounds and smells.
- Do something you enjoy. Play an instrument, write, book a trip away for the weekend, participate in a small act of kindness.
The important thing to remember is every action requires a motivation. If you can find what motivates you to change, then you will most likely succeed in changing your habits. It is only natural for us to fall into a rut now and then. This is what causes us to shake up our lives and hit the reset button. Learning that you cannot control every aspect of life means you should focus on what you can control, such as the way you react or feel to a situation. Staying grounded even when you feel like the mat is being pulled out from under you is vital. At the end of the day we have always been vulnerable to life since the day we were born. Set goals for yourself and make plans towards the future life you want to see and don’t let the battles today be the focus.